Did you every find a jar of petroleum jelly or known as “vaseline”? Have you ever maximize the uses out of it. Does the little jar really useful in the most practical ways? Do you just keep it inside your medicine cabinet or drawers to help remove stains, protect surfaces, moisturizing chapped lips? Well there is a lot more. Before I list the uses of this clever jelly what is petroleum jelly made of and uses, let us take a closer look:
What is Petroleum Jelly?
Petroleum jelly or petrolatum was discovered as paraffin-like material coating oil rigs. Petroleum jelly is made by the waxy petroleum material that formed on oil rigs and distilling it. The lighter the thinner oil-based products make up petroluem jelly, also known as white petrolatum or simply as petrolatum.
Petroleum Jelly Uses
Petroleum jelly is an ingredient in many cosmetics and lotions. Originally it was marketed as a burn ointment. While petroleum jelly does not cure burns or other wounds, it does seal a cleaned burn or injury off from contamination or further infection. Petroleum jelly also may be applied to dry or chapped skin to seal in moisture. A variation known as red veterinary petroleum confers some protection against UV (ultraviolet) exposure and has been used as a sunscreen.
Now that you know the chemical background and component of petroleum jelly let us proceed to its uses, I guarantee once you tried at least one on the tip listed below you will love that versatile substance. here it goes: ENJOY!
- A great balm! dab a little jelly to help moisturize soothe, soften and smooth lips. can be use during night time or daytime, Everytime definitely.
- Turn old eyeshadow colors, lipstick into glosses by mixing them. I have used petroleum jelly to sheer out barbie pink lipstick (maybelline) to achieve a natural barbie like lip stain.
- Exfoliate lips by applying petroleum jelly and lightly brushing with a toothbrush.
- Eye shadow/ cheek blush boost. Apply a little product on your eyes before applying eye shadow for intensifying the color, and dab on the cheeks to add shine for more dewy and healthy looking cheeks
- tame unruly eyebrows by applying a thin layer of petroleum jelly and comb into place. it work like a brow gel.
- thicken those eyelash. many ladies swear by this, by massaging a teenee tiny jelly on their eyelash before going to bed. and it made their lashes appear thicker and longer.
- removing stubborn mascara. I know you wear a water proof mascara and it would be hard as a rock to wipe it out, petroleum jelly can do the trick, put some jelly on a tissue paper and gently wipe it on your lashes. Voila! you just wiped it out.
- after shave. apply petroleum jelly to moisturize and comfort the skin after shaving. It wont irritate your newly shaved skin unlike lotion. Only silky skin.
- combat those dry areas. take an immediate action on your drying areas like elbows, knees, cracked heels by applying petroleum jelly to moisturize those after shower.
- make your perfume last long. do this trick whenever you cant bring your BULGARI Rose Essential to your pouch. So before heading out for a big date or a prom party dab a small amount of jelly on your perfume spray destination like wrists, neck, shoulders and before spraying on those areas.
- soothe those rashes. petroleum can be therapeutic when applied to lesions caused by poison ivy.
- achieve the super model look with smooth, polished look ponytail hair, by applying a little bit of petroleum jelly on your comb to slick back stray hairs.
- just like a leave on but just in a little way, rub a little amount of jelly into the ends of your hair to hide/lessen the appearance of split ends and super dry hair. making your hair look better.
Hands and Feet
- hands always tend to be more dry for we always exposed it to soaps, detergents while doing chores and handling some chemical solutions. the secret is use it just like a hand cream every night when our hands is at rest and free of work
- coating nails. nails always asks for extra care too just like your face, they get tear and yellowish when abused by nail colors and constant trip to your manicurist. massage your nails with petroleum jelly to protect the cuticles, no more crime scenes. a little goes a long way.
- sock-on. one of my favorites ever. sleeping with my socks on but with vaseline/petroleum jelly before it. I apply petroleum jelly just like a lotion on the soles of my feet and heels and put the socks on.
- shine that channel! I personally wipe all my bags that has leather with petroleum jelly, a one minute touch on, It moisturizes the leather skin and protects it from scratches and bruises from too much using. It even lessen the appearance of peeled off leather skin,
- on-the-go with my black shoes. my black shoes always thanked me for this. whenever I run out of kiwi at home petroleum jelly will always do the trick. just get a cotton ball, soaked it on the jar and run on my black shoes and wipe it with tissue paper for a finishing touch. what a shiny black shoes! looks good and new.
- before sticking your candles into the candle stand wipe the inner part of candle stand with petroleum jelly for the easy pulling of candles after using it.
- dab a small amount of petroleum jelly onto the blades of the razor each after use to preserve sharpness.
- prevent the hair color from smearing outside the hairline. before applying your hair color apply petroleum jelly onto the hairline.
- Use vaseline/petroleum to ease off stuck-on rings.